Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Week 7


I didn’t think I was a hoarder – I’ve watched those programmes on TV and I’ve seen the state real hoarders live in.  My spare room is nothing like that but it did need sorting.  Plastic crates that were carted from one loft to the next; a large selection of travel brochures and tourist information leaflets transported back from the US. It all takes up a considerable amount of space. This is a new house and a new start and some things are going to have to go.

Such as? I have collected greetings cards.  I have Wedding cards, Congratulation on the Birth cards; Anniversary cards; 18th, 21st, 30th and 40th birthday cards.  Do I really need to keep them all? I have Sorry You are Leaving cards – leaving where? We’re Going To Miss You cards from former work colleagues from over 25 years ago and Welcome to your new house cards. I’ve moved  so many times I can’t even tell which house these relate to.

I have drawings and works of art that were once lovingly pinned to the front of the fridge when the kids started school. Do I really need to keep those? Will they thank me for them? Which way up do they even go? I have their first shoes, and the baby shawl. I have the photos,  I have them – what more do I need?

It’s not as if I have kept every back issue of Jackie or My Guy magazine like some hoarders, but I do have treasured old records.  Why? I have nothing to play them on. It’s all very good keeping an original vinyl of Non-Stop Erotic Cabaret by Soft Cell because of the happy memories but I’m never going to listen to it.

The wedding dress produced shrieks of hysterical laughter from the teenager – but we could both fit into it (not, I hasten to add, at the same time).  What an earth am I really keeping it for? It’s a two piece suit from Debenhams and I’ve donated far more fashionable outfits to charity bags over the years.

Sometimes we have to let go.

The cat had great fun playing with the knitted Clanger my mother made me when I was about five – although that was retrieved and put back in the box, along with nearly all the birthday cards, including  all the home-made ones, every Mothers Day Card, every Valentine’s card....

I still have the same number of plastic crates as when I started my clearing out. I retained the Dressing Up Princess Diana kit in the hope that one day it might be worth a fortune (definitely regret not taking that and putting it on e-bay in the US). I did retain the wedding dress although I’m still not sure why, and the masses of travel leaflets remain just in case, you never know, I might go back there one day.

And I suppose that’s the dilemma that all hoarders face – you never know I might need it. We never think   highly likely that I might not.

Despite a sub-conscious yelling BIN BIN BIN I took most things out of my boxes, wistfully reminisced, and then put them straight back in.


No comments:

Post a Comment