Saturday, February 2, 2013

Week 5


February already! January disappeared under a blanket of grey and a foot of snow. The teenager has sat the first part of her AS levels and life has returned to normal.

I have started walking again – not quite those sunny early morning power walks of Southern California but a chilly, brisk, just get on with it hike through slush and mud.   I have exchanged the potential hazards of mountain lions, bears, coyotes and a posse of Mexican gardeners for puddles and potential flooding – my regular route along the river has to be timed to match the tide tables. I’m lucky, we have settled in a rather picturesque village and if it is too wet then I head uphill and inland past chocolate box cottages and homes concealed behind automatic gates and hidden away at the end of very long drives. The most hazardous part of this route is avoiding being run down by a speeding Maserati.

Another high or low of this week’s endeavour to explore was a trip into Southampton and its relatively new Sea City Museum. I’ve always felt that my home town doesn’t really make the most of itself and its sea faring heritage, nor put a great deal of effort into promoting its historic buildings or its waterfront. The Sea City museum is housed in the rather bland Civic Centre – well away from the sea –  and has dedicated a large proportion of its exhibition to the ill-fated journey of the Titanic which set sail from Southampton in April 1912.  The exhibition concentrates on the lives of the Titanic crew (what no Kate and Leo?)  the majority of whom were from Southampton and the majority of whom, quite naturally, didn’t survive.  Whilst it’s an informative and educational experience, with an extensive selection of artefacts and rather (too) realistic sound effects, it’s hardly uplifting.

When we  arrived in California and I told people we came from Southampton I was surprised that very few Americans had ever heard of the place. It’s a major international port.  I mentioned the Titanic and the Mayflower which also set off from Southampton and carried the Pilgrim Fathers off to Massachusetts, I mentioned cruise liners and the Queen Mary, now resting in Long Beach, but it provoked little reaction.  Of course, now I’m older and great deal wiser, this doesn’t surprise me,  Americans do rather struggle with the concept of world geography. Eventually gave up explaining about Southampton and told everyone I came from south (of) London – it seemed to work much better.   (The teenager recently received a message from a former US school friend asking how she was settling in back in London, and when she replied she wasn’t in London, he replied, oh yehhow close to London is England?)

And talking of the Mayflower and the Queen Mary,  a full size replica of one and the original of the other were both encountered on our travels in America, and  are major tourist attractions. Perhaps Southampton would draw more visitors if a life size model of the Titanic was moored up on its quayside, although perhaps not...

I think I’ve changed my mind about booking that cruise.

No comments:

Post a Comment