Sunday, September 23, 2012

Rewind

  
My new found  "me time" must be used wisely. 

The invitation to join a friend at this summer's annual  Rewind 80's music festival in Henley  sounded like the  perfect solution to my quest to get out more and embark on new adventures. 
 
Luckily camping was not on the agenda but I packed my wellies, my folding armchair (I’m pretty sure kids don’t take those to Glastonbury but what the heck) and even managed to sneak in a Go-Ahead bar past festival security – I like to live dangerously. Security was surprisingly tight considering the majority of the audience were well into their 40’s. What’s the harm in a packet of jaffa cakes?
I was a total festival virgin but I needn't have worried. The wellies remained in locked in the car  the whole weekend and the sun shone.  Even the toilet facilities were surprisingly clean - on the first day!

1980’s music blared out for the whole weekend and I relived my youth. I was a New Romantic and 30 years later there I was still jumping up and down to a bit of Tainted Love. It was great to see Midge Ure, Marc Almond, Tony Hadley and the two guys from OMD still giving it their all.  Put a bit of sticking plaster across your nose - and there you have it - Adam Ant. Yes he was there too, to the delight of an audience very hot sweaty dandy highwaymen.
I decided this is the festival that parents take their teenage kids to for punishment –  yes you will have to suffer the indignity of watching mum and dad dancing in that weird 80’s way to all those old blokes up on stage. If my teenager doesn’t behave herself I’ve already threatened her with this next year.  The date’s  marked in my diary.  If she’s really bad, I might well add to the excitement by going in 80’s style fancy dress – yes I too could be a drunken rubic cube shaking my stuff at 2.00 pm on a Saturday afternoon.

I belong to a generation that is determined to grow old disgracefully. When my kids were small they used to ask why old ladies always had curly grey permed hair - well in future they won't.  I can't do anything about the curls, they happen naturally every time it rains, but grey - definitely not. Nor will there be whist drives or tea dances - as long as Rewind stays around.
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment