Sunday, September 30, 2012

Fifty Shades of LA


Naturally it was assumed that on my return to the UK I would start job hunting, after all did I not continually moan about being a lady of leisure? Well yes I did, but mostly because having been raised from birth with a serious sense of work ethic I felt guilty about having the time to go for a pedicure and long lazy lunches. Three years of not working and keeping myself amused and I’ve gone from thinking what would I do all day if I didn’t work to how could I possibly find the time to hold down a Job?

The UK is in recession and jobs are now in short supply. Realising that even if I did wish to find employment, it wasn’t going to be easy, when I saw a local company advertising for a part-time administrator I hurriedly completed my on-line CV.  Absolute panic set in when I received a request to attend an interview the very next day.  I managed to put it off – I was due to paint my nails or something (actually the shipping container was being delivered) but then I made some further enquiries to find out exactly how many “part-time” hours a week were required and  ended up withdrawing my application altogether. What an earth had I been thinking of? 24 hours a week in an office after the freedom of California? It was just too much!

So I have negotiated a year’s reprieve from job seeking – after all with my husband working away what fun could we have on his R&R  if I was stuck  in an office all day?

And talking of fun, this does now mean that I can dedicate my time to writing my book - a genuine guide to ex-pat living based on my blog,  Life in the LA Bubble, although judging by  current trends I am seriously going to have to spice it up a bit to stand any chance of commercial success. My Sex Life in the LA Bubble is probably how it's going to have to end up.
 
I have every admiration for any author who can get work published and if that means lowering my standards, trust me I’ll do it. I can use my imagination....on the beach at Santa Monica, suspended from a coat hanger in my huge Hollywood style walk-in-closet, half way round the Buzz Lightyear laser ride at Disney - you name it, that’s where we did it - a torrid tale of sex-pats on tour or something similar.

I’m not quite sure how Fifty Shades hero Christian Grey as a CEO of major international corporation has the energy to return home after a hectic day making millions at the office to ravish his wife six times a night. My other half, a hard working employee of a similar major international corporation, could barely stay awake long enough to eat his dinner, let alone have the energy to get up to any tricks on the billiard table. That, I suppose is the difference between fact and fiction, and what makes a bestseller.

Unlock the handcuffs darling, I need to write another chapter.....

No comments:

Post a Comment