Monday, March 25, 2013

The Saudi Experience Part I


 A dose of winter sunshine is good for the soul, although I have to admit Saudi Arabia wouldn’t have been my first choice for a holiday.  300 km north of Jeddah, the town of Yanbu sits on the  Red Sea, and is temporary home to a vast number of western oil and construction workers, including my other half.

The abaya had been purchased; the teenager’s ready meals  placed in the fridge, and her instructions for the week pinned to the door (NO PARTYING was top of the list). After a three month wait for a visa, I was finally off on a trip to the Middle East.

It would have been nice to have sprinkled this post with exotic holiday snaps  but alas, photography is not encouraged in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and within minutes of leaving the airport, I could see why. Quite frankly the place was a mess. If this was my kingdom, I certainly wouldn’t want anyone hanging around taking pictures of it.

I had been warned. Yes, he assured me, I would see camels, but I would also see lots of litter – the plastic bag is commonly known as the Saudi desert flower, I would seen the abandoned wrecks of car crashes on the road side, and empty buildings left to crumble into ruin and decay. The standard of driving, he told me, was worse than LA. No! How could it be?!!

Well it was. Two armed Check Point Charlies and three hours later, I was relieved to see the desert skyline becoming dominated by a succession of oils refineries, chemical plants and power stations. We had reached my holiday destination – the industrial oasis of Yanbu.

A massive modern construction programme has resulted in an influx of foreign workers into Saudi. Fortunately for me, I would be accommodated in a secure, luxurious western style compound. If my husband was one of the many Indian, Pakistani or Filipino workers, he’d have been confined to barracks, with his passport confiscated and a trip home planned once every two years.

Another Check Point Charlie and we faced the 10 ft high perimeter concrete wall topped with barbed wire. Sliding  gates drew back to reveal a holiday style village; attractive villa’s and apartments set around courtyards with pools, amongst neatly tendered gardens bursting with exotic bougainvillea and tidy lawns of well watered green grass.


Wow, I thought, slipping out of my abaya and into my bikini, this isn’t so bad. I took a welcome dip in the pool and reclined on a sunlounger whilst my poor hubby hurried off back to work.  I flicked through a couple of pages of a magazine. If I ignored the barbed wire, and the fact that I couldn’t leave the compound under my own steam or without being garbed from head to foot in black, perhaps I could get used to this.

A friend from California arrived to take me on a quick tour. Ten minutes later I had seen the gym, the library, the shop, the restaurant. I passed the nursery, the play areas, the football pitch and tennis court.  What next? We called on another friend for a cup of tea.

Tomorrow,  they promised, we could book a driver and go on a trip. Perhaps, I hoped, I would get to see some of the real Saudi, those colourful market places and exotic souks.  Welcome to ex-pat life, Yanbu style. 'We'll do the Mall and the supermarket,' they told me. Even that, I assured them gratefully, would be a treat.  


No comments:

Post a Comment