Saturday, January 12, 2013

Week 2


A totally manic week filled with a positive frenzy of activity. Buying; selling; designing; negotiating. After weeks of lethargy in the Bubble household we have been spurred into action.

The cooker that has been dysfunctional since a major over-heating issue back in October, has finally been replaced.

The table and chairs which fitted snugly into our former flat but was overwhelmed by the size of our new kitchen has been sold to a young Polish couple and it’s replacement – two tonnes of pure solid oak – has been hoisted into the kitchen.  A private ad on Gumtree to sell the table resulted in a flurry of enquiries – including the bizarre telephone call from an elderly gentleman who sounded very keen to purchase. He asked all the right questions – age, size, condition etc. Sale! I thought, but sadly no. His final question, the deal breaker; did I have any cats or dogs? Initially I wondered whether he wanted one of those to accompany the table, but when I replied rather hesitantly that yes I did have a cat, he then said he couldn’t possibly have the table due to an allergy. If that was so important why wasn’t that the first question he asked.....

Never mind – on to the garden. Devoid of foliage since the Autumn I have carefully re-designed my rather small plot to include new paving, new seating and a lot more (evergreen) plants.  A visit to a local garden centre, a half an hour free consultation with a younger, much trendier version of Alan Titchmarsh and new ideas abound.  All I now need is Ground Force – instead – six trips to the recycling centre later, I have a garden not just devoid of foliage, but devoid of any plants. Plus I think I’ve probably just about finished off my other half who is now so unused to any kind of manual work. Despite the installation of a brand new super duper shower just before Christmas, all he has wanted to do since he got back from Saudi is soak in the bath to ease his aching limbs.

We have been shopping – numerous trips to DIY shops to purchase paint for the re-vamped bathroom, tools for the garden, accessories for my re-styled kitchen. I have browsed for material for new blinds – do I outsource and get someone to make them for me, or do I make them myself? I know I am capable and it would be a lot cheaper but do I have the time?

Adult education has re-started and I’m back to my creative writing course.  Three pieces of homework in the first week on top of this rather rash promise to produce a weekly blog. It’s going to be tough finding the time to run up a couple of Roman Blinds, plus I have applied for a job. Yes, a trip to yet another garden centre and there it was – the perfect opportunity, a customer services assistant required for just a few hours a week.

‘You could do that...’ my husband suggested, clutching his bad back.

Yes I know I could,  but do I want to? Selling plants? Definitely preferable to a battle with the sewing machine.....



No comments:

Post a Comment